JCC OF LBI
2411 Long Beach Boulevard
Spray Beach, NJ 08008
As all of us are aware we are in a most trying time. Every day things that we have taken for granted are changing before our eyes. The NBA is cancelling games, and suspended the season until further notice. For the first time since its inception in 1939, the NCAA tournament, March Madness, has been canceled. Major League Baseball has pushed back Opening Day for at least two weeks and stopped the Grapefruit League. All of this has occurred as a result of the coronavirus. Countries are closing down their borders, and testing everyone. Even here, in the US, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Dr. Anthony Fauci, feels that the current testing here is failing.
Knowing all of this, and given that a number of our congregants who attend services are older, and may have underlining health issues, and adding to that the unknown features of the coronavirus, I called for an emergency conference call with your board of directors. During the call, and by a unanimous vote, the following has been decided and will go into effect immediately.
- In-person Shabbat services will be canceled for the next thirty days. During this time we will review the ongoing situation and make adjustments accordingly. We will be live streaming: 1) Kabbalat Shabbat services prior to sundown on Friday, and 2) Maariv/Havdalah services after sundown on Saturday night so members of the community can be part of an online prayer space. This will be done through our Zoom application and emailed to the congregation.
- The JCC’s community Seder has been cancelled. We are doing this now in order to give everyone ample time to make alternate arrangements. Those who have already paid can request a refund through the JCC office.
- The JCC office will be opened Monday, Wednesday and Friday, as usual, but we strongly encourage that any business that you need to conduct with the JCC be done by email or phone. Anything that you need to drop off at the JCC can be left in the mailbox on 24th street.
- The next installment of Rabbi Jay’s series on anti-Semitism will still be held on March 24, 2020 at 7:00 PM, but will be a live stream event instead of at the Buskirk home. Look for an email invitation.
- For those who need it, we will be reciting Kaddish during the two services that we offer.
In closing, these decisions were not easy to make. While they may be upsetting to some, the Board and I feel that it is best to be cautious and prudent under these very trying, and fluid, circumstances. We ask for your understanding and cooperation as we move through this crisis together, as a united family. Stay well and safe.
Michael J. Babst
President of the JCC of Long Beach Island.
SHABBAT SERVICE SCHEDULE: CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
FRIDAY NIGHT – 8:00 pm
SATURDAY MORNING – 10:00 am; TORAH STUDY 9:00 am
You can now make a donation using your credit card. All cards are accepted. Please print and fill out this form Credit Card Form 1-6-2020 with your information and send it to the JCC Office with the appropriate request forms below:
PRAYER BOOKS: prayerbook donations form 6 2019
KOL HAKAVOD: KOLHAKAVODFUND2
TREE OF LIFE: tree-of-life-donation-form
YAHRZEIT PLAQUES: Yahrzeit Plaque order form 8 14 15
KIDDISH SPONSORSHIP: JCC Kiddush 2018
ONEG SHABBAT SPONSORSHIP: Oneg Form 2019
BAZAAR VENDOR APPLICATION: vendor application 2020
MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL: 2020 Renewal Form (1)